Published By Ben Hillidge
CAMBRIAN PLACE A ‘cul-de-sac’ off Beatrice Street developed in mid 1860’s. The upper part was cleared in 1960’s replaced with 50-59 Swan Lane.
2 Lance Corporal 7828 John Williams, 1 Bn Gloucestershire Regiment. Given as address of his stepmother in his obituary. Lived on Orchard Street with grandparents and in Cheltenham in 1911 stationed in Barracks at Portsmouth.
Cambrian Square See Albert Road
CANNISTER COTTAGES Off Beatrice Street – a terrace of 5 cottages, also called Cannister Yard, located on the north side of Beatrice Street near to the junction with Albion Hill, believed to be named after the ‘Golden Cannister’, a grocery shop at 1 Beatrice Street (see Private 11378 Valentine R Sperring)
Private 1748 Thomas L Jones, 1/1 Shropshire Yeomanry. Born Llanrhaeadr family moved to Oswestry. After marriage at at Chapel House, Llynclys.
Castle square see Albert Road
CASTLE STREET The section from Willow Street (known as Upper Castle Street for a while) to Oak Street was built first and then extended to Prince Street. The Ebenezer Chapel was built here in 1840. Numbers 33- 41 were built in 1859 while others after Castle Hotel built some time after that. The road once ended at Cripplegate and there was a walkway through to Beatrice Street via Rope Walk. Castle Street was eventually extended down Plough Bank onto Beatrice Street.
2 Private 27134 Reginald H Pendry, 1 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Home of Reginald’s mother as listed on CWGC. The family also lived at Porkington Terrace, Park Avenue and Albert Road.
5 Private 11378 Valentine R Sperring, 5 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. In 1891 at Lord Street, 1911 at Ash Road and also at 1 Beatrice Street.
23 Private 6953 Percy Phillips, 5 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also at Bethel Terrace, Albert Road, Albion Hil and Aldine Street, London. His mother and brothers would lived at 67 Albert Road and Beatrice Street.
24 Sergeant 33741 Harry Evans, 2 Garrison Bn King’s Liverpool Regiment. Also lived at 9, 15, & 23 Oak Street
28 (1891) and 34 (1901) Private 12096 Arthur Rogers. 1 Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
35 Lance Corporal 13873 Percy W Miner, 7 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Born Naseby. Also lived on Gobowen Road and Orchard Street.
47 Private M/403930 Herbert Parsons, Army Service Corps MT Depot Sydenham. Home of Herbert’s mother, Elizabeth Jones, she was guardian to his children also lived at Willow Street.
(53) Corporal S4/144586 Charles H Roberts, Army Service Corps, 1st Line of Communication Coy. Also on Vrynwy Road
94 Second Lieutenant Charles A Davies, 7 Bn South Wales Borderers. Medal Index gives widow living at Castle Street. Also at Vine Cottages, Albert Road & Gittins Street.
‘Green Cottages’ Private 6154 Albert E Loose, 2 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Born in liverpool. Family home in 1901 Castle Street, Oswestry. Later he would board with his married brother at Porkington Cottages.
‘Ruby House’ Lance Corporal 12295 James W Jones, 6 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Now 21A Castle Street – there used to be a name plate on the front door but renovations and new windows saw the door replaced in 2015. Also lived at Welsh Walls and Lord Street.
Mount Terrace, Castle Street 1860s row of 5 houses at eastern end of Castle Street between Trinity Street and Cripplegate demolished in 1960s
2 Private 32515 Charles Humphreys1/5 Bn South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales Volunteers) Also at Osbourne Yard and Orchard Street
6 Private 29458 CW Mac Roberts, 13 Bn Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment). Born in Oswestry lived Swan Crescent and Castle Street before moving to Hulme, Cheshire
Parry’s Buildings, Castle Street A part of Castle Street built early 1860’s between Prince’s Street and Cripplegate cleared in 1960s. Owned by Mr Thomas Pryce Parry (d1893) a woolstapler and fellmonger who owned many properties in the town. Demolition of Parry’s Buildings, Osw Family History early 1960’s
52 Private 21425 William Husbands, 6 Bn King’ Shropshire Light Infantry. Born in Myddle. Ellesmere came to Oswestry after his marriage .
52 Private 26265 Thomas Jones, 1 Bn Cheshire Regiment. Also at Llys lane and Swan Crescent.
55 Private 6308 Samuel Hall, 1 Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Also at Llwyn Road.
Woodlands Terrace, Castle Street
2 Private 200076 George A Corbett, 1/4Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, Also at Llwyn Place, Albert Road & Llys Lane
Ceiriog Villas see Gobowen Road
CHAPEL STREET Developed around 1840s named after the chapel at its junction with Castle Street. Chapel Place and Olwen Terrace form part of Chapel Street.
8 Lance Corporal 6497 William H Weaver, 1 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also lived at Soley House, Park Avenue
10 Private 6471 William J Healey, 2 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also at 6 Oswald Row.
‘Chapel House’ Private 59586 Percy J Mayes, Sudbury, 11 Bn Manchester Regiment. Family home of his wife G.G. (nee) Bebbington
Private 6958 Oswald Peters, 2 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also at Vine Cottages, Albert Road and Swan Crescent.
Castle Place, Chapel Street Now known as Castle View (off Chapel Street). 1891 census gives 13 cottages called Castle Place built before 1866 in the 1930’s the interiors were modified and made into 6 larger homes.
1 Lance Corporal 24296 Albert Davies, 7 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Census 1911 living at Vine Cottages had also lived at Castle Place, Chapel Street and Lorne Street.
2 Private 158 Edward Farmer, 4 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also lived at 3 Beatrice Place, Albert Road and 6 Cripplegate.
6 Private 17679 Evan A Humphreys, 1Bn Coldstream Guards. Post war his parents lived here also at Fitzalan Court, Arthur street.
Chapel Place, Chapel Street
11 Rifleman 7015 John W Hughes, 3 Bn Rifle Brigade. Lived here with his wife and child. Also lived at Hughes Yard, Llys Lane and Beatrice Street.
Olwen Terrace, Chapel Street Terrace near Christ Church built around 1900 along line of old town walls.
8 Lieutenant Frederick H Davies, 10 Bn Canadian Infantry. In 1901 also at Gittins Street and Holbache Road.
CHURCH STREET From site of New Gate, one of the four gates in the old town walls, to the junction with what is now Upper and Lower Brook Street. At the entrance to Cae Glas Park, on Church Street, stand the Gates that form the War Memorial to the dead of both World Wars. Just inside the gates is the Cambrian Railways WWI memorial, removed from the old railway station. Off Church Street just before St Oswald’s Church is the Broadwalk with a memorial to Wilfred Owen, World War I poet born in Oswestry.
34 Private 204284 Henry M (Marsden) Bull, 10 Bn Worcestershire Regiment, Cae Glas House – also at Belgrave Terrace.
40 Lieutenant Richard AM Lutener, 6 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. The Vicarage faced onto the Broadwalk it was part of The Great House made into 2 houses – the vicarage and Bellan House.
55 Sergeant T/354807 Harry Walker, Royal Army Service Corps Camel Transport. His father was a provisions dealer in1881 & 1891. Later at Admiral Benbow, Ruyton XI Towns and Wynnstay, Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant.
Church Place, Church Street This is Church Terrace now Heritage Centre previously Oswestry Grammar School founded by David Holbache in 1407, the school moved in 1776 the buildings were used as a warehouse until 1792, then homes until 1950s. Now the Oswestry Heritage Centre.
1 Lance Corporal 10057 Daniel Rigby, 1 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, Also at 102 Willow Street
3 Private 5588 Fred Owen, 2 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also at Castle Square, Albert Road and Rope Walk
Ceiriog Villas see Gobowen Road
CONEY GREEN Coney Green Terrace was built mid 19th century. Historically Coney Green related to low lying fields between Llys Lane (today’s Middleton Road) and the town walls east of Black Gate. Now a narrow lane rather than a road leading from Salop Road across the railway line to Brookhouse estate.
8 Private 241284 Edward A Preece, 1/5 Bn Cheshire Regiment, Born Atcham, Shrewsbury
10 Lance Corporal 10761 Richard H Williams, 5 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. 1911 Also at West Street and Jennings Road
10 Sergeant 718 Henry Tudor, 4 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Home at enlistmen. Also lived at 1 Middleton Road and 27 Llwyn Road
22 Lance Corporal 8209 Thomas Mills, 1/1Bn Herefordshire Regiment. Born in Wigan. In 1911 at Coney Green, also lived at Middleton Road and Rhayader.
22 Private 22300 Robert B Williams, 7 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also at 3 Albert Place and King Street
26 Private 59034 Charles A (Albert) Sharman, 1/5 Bn Welsh Regiment. Lived here in 1901 also at Park Avenue
38 Private 12352 Harry H Owen, 6 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also at Gatacre Road
Private 21270 Edward W Lyndom, 7 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, Also lived at Signal Terrace, Albert Road and Willow Street.
CRIPPLEGATE sometimes known as Cripplegate Street built around 1860 (demolished 1960s) ran from Castle Street towards to the top of rope walk post WWII the name fell out of favour address became known by its parts Swan Crescent and Sunny Bank.
6 Private 158 Edward Farmer, 4 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Also lived at 3 Beatrice Place, Albert Road, 2 Castle Place, Chapel Street.
8 Private 31070 Arthur Clare, 2 Bn South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers). Also at Gate street – as a boarder and lived at Cripplegate and Sunny Bank.
Sunny Bank, Cripplegate Terrace on western side of Cripplegate, Victorian cottages cleared in the 1960s
12 Private 31070 Arthur Clare, 2 Bn South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers). Also lived at Victoria Terrace, Albert Road, Castle Street and boarded at Gate Street.
CROESWYLAN see Welshpool Road
THE CROSS Once the market place for the town at the junction of Church Street, Cross Street and Willow Street.
1 Saunders Cottages Private 10135 William Grady, 1 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, William’s parents lived here.