Published By John Davies
Christ Church, Oswestry.
Christ Church, situated at the corner of Arthur Street and Chapel Street, was built in 1871-2. The building, designed to seat 350 people with a school room in the basement, cost £2,500 and was designed by Oswestry architect Mr W. H. Spaull, the father of – Chief Mate Mercantile Marine Barnard C. Spaull,.
It is built in the Gothic style, constructed from Cefn stone. The spire is 120 feet high. There is a Plaque on the exterior of the Church dedicated to Sir Henry Walford Davies, Master of the King’s Music 1934-1941. He was born in Oswestry in 1869 in Willow Street (Blue Plaque at 55 Willow Street) and was chorister at the Church where his father was organist.
The Church WW1 Memorial is dedicated to 9 men – 7 of whom are ‘Men on the Gates’. The 2 absent are – Thomas Charles Evans and A (Arthur) Ernest Perry. Below the panel is WW2 Memorial. There is also a marble plaque in the Church listing 55 men who fought in WW1 and returned home.
Private 12369 Alfred Evans, 1 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. – member of Christ Church Choir