Published By John Davies
- Herefordshire Regiment
The Herefordshire Regiment was entirely a Territorial regiment. Before the war there was just one battalion based in Hereford. During the war 2 more battalions were formed but only 1/1 Bn served overseas.
1/1 Bn. Herefordshire Regiment – 158 Brigade, 53 (Welsh) Division.
The 1/1 Bn. Herefordshire Regiment was a territorial unit, mobilised at Hereford in August 1914. They moved to Oswestry where they stayed for about 2 weeks billeted in the town with HQ at the Wynstay Hotel . On 16 July 1915 they left the UK bound for Gallipoli where they first went into action at Suvla Bay on 9 August and were mentioned in despatches ‘(the battalion) attacked with impetuosity and courage between Hetman Chair and Kaslar Chair about Azmak Dere on the extreme right of his line.’ After the evacuation from Gallipoli and time in Egypt, in June 1916, the battalion was transferred to the Western Front when they came under command of 102 Brigade, 34 Division.
3/1 Bn Herefordshire Regiment.
The 3/1 Bn Herefordshire Regiment was formed in March 1915 as a training reserve unit and did not serve overseas. From September 1915 they were stationed at Oswestry.