Published By John Davies
- Welsh Regiment
Link to Welsh Regiment Museum.
The Welsh Regiment was formed in 1881 with headquarters at Brecon. During WW1 the Regiment raised 2 regular and reserve battalions, 4 first line territorial battalions and 14 service battalions of which 12 served overseas.
1/5 Bn Welsh Regiment -159 Brigade, 53 (Welsh) Division
The 1/5 Bn Welsh Regiment was a territorial unit mobilised at Pontypridd in August 1914. After a period on home defence duties the battalion sailed for service at Gallipoli in July 1915. Following the evacuation they served in Egypt. The battalion remained in the Middle East for the rest of the war, taking part in the Egypt and Palestine campaigns.
2 Bn Welsh Regiment – 3 Brigade, 1 Division
The 2 Bn Welsh Regiment was a regular army unit. At the outbreak of war they were stationed in the UK and were some of the first troops to go over to France arriving there on 13 August 1914. The battalion served on the Western Front throughout the war and were in action at all major offensives. Following the Armistice the battalion was part of the Army of Occupation in Germany.
14 Bn Welsh Regiment
The 14 Bn Welsh Regiment, the Swansea Pals, was a service battalion raised at Swansea by the Mayor and Corporation and Swansea Football and Cricket Club. They went over to France in December 1915. The battalion served at all the major offensives. At the end of the war they were out of the line in billets at Ecuelin, France. Demobilisation began in December 1918 with the cadre returning to the UK in May 1919.
Second Lieutenant Charles H Hughes, 14 Bn Welsh Regiment KIA 30 August 1918, Morval British Cemetery (Formerly 6 Bn KSLI (PALs)
24 Bn Welsh Regiment. (Pembroke and Glamorgan Yeomanry) – 231 Brigade. 74 (Yeomanry) Division
The 24 Bn Welsh Regiment (Pembroke and Glamorgan Yeomanry) was formed in Egypt during February 1917 when the 2 Yeomanry units were amalgamated. They served during the campaign in Palestine and in May 1918 were transferred to France. Where they were in action during the Kaiser Offensive and 100 Days. At the end of the war the battalion was at Oeudegheim, Belgium, Demobilisation began in December 1918 and by March the battalion was down to cadre strength.
4 Reserve Bn Welsh Regiment
The 4 Reserve Bn Welsh Regiment was formed in September 1916 as reserve and training battalion stationed at Milford Haven, The battalion did not serve overseas.