Published By Ben Hillidge
Holy Trinity Church, Oswestry.
LINK to Holy Trinity Church web site
Holy Trinity Church, Oswestry was built in 1837 to relieve overcrowding in St Oswald’s Church. The Church is a Grade II listed building standing on the corner of Roft Street and Salop Road. The architect was Thomas Penson (1790-1859), a local man who also designed St Agatha’s Church, Llanymynech, the National School on Welsh Walls and the market building, now Edinburgh Woollen Mill on The Cross.
The poet Wilfred Owen, born 18 March 1893 at Oswestry, was baptised at Holy Trinity, similarly many of the Men on the Gates were baptised and many married there; for many their memorial and burial services were also conducted in the Church.
The World War 1 War Memorial is at the western end with a brass plaque on one wall and a handwritten Roll of Honour opposite. The plaque has 73 names, the RofH 69. Of these 68 are identified as Men on the Gates. Those not on the Gates are –
Thomas Fernyhough – Shropshire Yeomanry. Died March 1919. (BROTHER TO John Fernyhough)
Robert J Davies
Robert John Davies (poss double entry for above)
Leslie Pritchard (poss double entry for MotG Arthur Leslie Pritchard)
Holy Trinity – Men on the Gates
Private 12329 Harry Beaton, 6 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. – member of the church choir and Church Club.
Private 11487 George Douglas, 5 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. A Memorial Service was held at Holy Trinity Church. The service was attended by members of his guild, the vicar Rev H Eaton Thomas presided.
Possibly as Tom Jones – Private 4960 Thomas Jones, 3/1 Bn Herefordshire Regiment. OR Private 26265 Thomas Jones, 1 Bn Cheshire Regiment.
Captain Rev. Thomas Glasfryn Jones Army Chaplains’ Department att. 11 Bn South Wales Borderers. His uncle was possibly a clergyman there?
Believed to be incorrectly recorded as Thomas H Loose – Private 16926 Charles H Loose, 1 Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry.