Published By Ben Hillidge
St Oswald’s Church, Oswestry.
LINK St Oswald’s web site
St Oswald’s is the Oswestry Parish Church, dedicated to Saint Oswald, King and Martyr. The Church has been a centre of worship for nearly 1000 years. The building is Grade II* listed, the oldest part is the tower dating from the 12th Century with later additions, particularly from the 17th and 19th Centuries.
The WW1 Memorial is located in St George’s Chapel in the south transept. The Memorial and Altar were designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. The Memorial was unveiled on 16 April 1920 by Brigadier General JV Campbell VC and was dedicated by Reverend WMB Lutener. Within the Chapel there are also the WW2 Memorial, Rolls of Honour and individual memorials. The WW1 Memorial depicts a statue of St George flanked by two panels of the names of the fallen; below is a bronze sculpture of war matériel – weapons and tools.
The Memorial has 171 names; all are Men on the Gates plus 2 who are not – brothers, Captain Edward GM Thornycroft (CWGC) and Captain John R Thornycroft (CWGC). Some, not all, worshipped at St Oswald’s, a few were choristers others members of the congregation, of bible classes and church socials.
The Names on The Memorial –
Sergeant 12969 Thomas Kynaston, 4 Bn South Wales Borderers. list (wrongly) as RWF
Private 49093 Thomas Lewis, 1 Bn Loyal North Lancashire.. believed to be
Chorister at St Oswald’s Church –
Chorister and some time organist. Private 3813 John A Wynne, 1/15 Bn London Regiment Civil Service Rifles.
Oswestry Church Club
Formerly secretary of Church Club – Private 33281 Clifford Sheldon, 13 Bn (C Coy) Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
Private 360264 Ralph Evans, 1/10 Bn The King’s Liverpool Regiment (Liverpool Scottish). for some time acted as treasurer
Miss Henry’s Bible Classes St Oswald’s– Group photo in BCA date????